The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)

Complaints about the conduct of people serving with the police can be sent to the IOPC, but the IOPC does not have the power to record complaints. If you complain to the IOPC, it must, by law, forward the complaint back to the relevant police force for consideration.

Due to the exceptionally high numbers of complaints made to the IOPC, it can take a number of weeks before a complaint is forwarded to Dyfed Powys Police. In order to have your complaint dealt with as quickly as possible, we advise you to complain to Dyfed Powys Police using one of the methods set out within the information detailed on the force website here.

The IOPC also investigates the most serious complaints and allegations of misconduct against the police in England and Wales. These complaints are referred to the IOPC by police forces. The IOPC may decide to investigate an incident using its own investigators (referred to an Independent Investigation). Alternatively, it can manage or supervise a police investigation into the matter. The IOPC will only conduct independent investigations into incidents that cause the greatest level of public concern for example deaths in or following police custody.

Where do I get more information from as to how I can make a complaint?

Further information on how to make a complaint is available from the IOPC website.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and do not deal directly with complaints from the public. In the first instance you should contact the relevant police force to make your complaint. In certain situations, police forces must refer complaints to the IOPC – for example, those involving death, serious assault or a serious sexual offence.

For further information on the role of the IOPC you can contact them through any of the following methods – Independent Office for Police Conduct, PO Box 473, Sale, M33 0BW. Tel number 0300 020 0096, email address is   Web address: